Working in a Salon versus Running Your Own
The question that so many cosmetologists face when entering and working in our profession is often this: Do I want to work in a salon or run my own? And with companies like Salon Lofts and Sola Salon Studios that allow you to take the “salon rental” route, that second option can appear deceivingly easy.
Indeed, if your dream is to open your own shop, with the benefits and risks that go with it, by all means…explore that option to its fullest. But many, if not most, cosmetology professionals took this path because they love doing what they do best: Taking care of their clients and making them LOOK and FEEL GREAT.
The Costs and Risks of Ownership
Again, if you’re interested in salon rental and hanging your own shingle, by all means, go for it! But be mindful of what it takes, and how much energy and time you’ll spend on work that DOESN’T involve taking care of your clients. In fact, according to a recent article on Salon Suite Solutions, you will need to be prepared to (in a quick summary):
- Have a list of 200+ loyal clients before you even get started!
- Sign one-year lease of around $300 per week ($15,600/year…and you WILL be held to it)
- Manage additional operating costs of $1,000 or more per month ($12,000 a year)
- Buy your own health insurance, $300/month ($3,600/yr)
- Understand taxes, insurance, leases, credit card processing and business management (hint: these things have nothing to do with cosmetology)
- Create your own marketing and brand-building; SALES
The Laventure/Great Clips Opportunity
At Laventure/Great Clips, we provide an environment, culture and atmosphere that enables you to do what you do best, while we take care of the rest. The nature of our profession is in prosperous client relationships (because that’s what keeps them coming back!). We want you to focus on building those relationships, without having to worry about management issues, all the while knowing that you’re earning a great living with great benefits.
With a total compensation package that can well exceed $45,000, at Laventure/Great Clips Team, you will:
- Start earning right away with a guaranteed base.
- Get total compensation that well exceeds $20/hour (above industry norms).
- Have the BEST benefits package you’ll find anywhere, including AETNA full major medical (with co-pays), dental, paid vacation, paid holidays, and matching 401k.
- Have opportunities for professional growth, training and management positions.
- Have a flexible work schedule.
But as we said: don’t take our word for it; come and see for yourself.